< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://sirhumphreys.com" > Sir Humphrey's: What I miss about Australia

SIR HUMPHREY'S BLOG

SITE MOVED:Sir Humphrey's has moved

Please join us at our new site: www.sirhumphreys.com.

The RSS feed for sirhumphreys.com is now here.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

What I miss about Australia

I miss the fruit.

I miss being able to get a good rockmelon and know that it is a good rockmelon rather than wondering whether I should buy one from Pac n' Save or three. Two weeks ago I discovered a rockmelon that looked like it might be alright in a bunch of them that were striped. This one was not striped. It looked like a Sydney rockmelon, albeit a bit smaller. So I took the risk (again, I've thrown out countless rockmelons at $6 each because they were crap), and OMG it was actually alright. Not as good as what I'd buy in Sydney, but acceptable.

Last week I looked carefully at the rockmelons and discovered that the things go from stripy to not stripy, so I chose the least stripy of the lot. Pure bliss. I went a little crazy on Thursday and ate half of it rather than the quarter a day I'd been doling out. No rockmelon for me on Friday, but oh it was worth it on Thursday.

Supermarket day tomorrow. Dare I hope that my luck will continue? Should I risk three rockmelons?

I'm not even going to talk about the organic seedless sultana grapes or the lychees that come out in the begining of December .. sob.

Posted by Lucia Maria | 11/12/2005 05:48:00 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger francis said...

I'm SO in agreement, but it's not just Australia. I miss American fruit. Say what you will about Iraq, but when you buy a melon you get the real deal, in any supermarket, anywhere in the country -- and grapes! Seedless grapes!! I have to wonder if the stuff we export is as crappy as the stuff we sell to ourselves.

11/13/2005 04:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home