< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://sirhumphreys.com" > Sir Humphrey's: The Grey Ghosts

SIR HUMPHREY'S BLOG

SITE MOVED:Sir Humphrey's has moved

Please join us at our new site: www.sirhumphreys.com.

The RSS feed for sirhumphreys.com is now here.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Grey Ghosts

Rotorua City Council is copping a bit of flack for employing over exuberant meter maids, or is it meter men these days? Some bloke bought some goods from a shop and backed his car into an empty metered space only to find your friendly Grey Ghost waiting with pen poised. Apparently our hero had failed to smack a zack in the crack (back in the good old days of real money) and the Grey Ghost got an easy home run.

I have little sympathy for the shop keeper who bleats about them being Nazis though. Seemingly she wants them to adopt a better attuitude. I guess that means a friendly pat on the back and "Oh by the way how are the kids today?" as they write out your ticket for sixty bucks and stuff it into your top pocket.

"It's a real Nazi attitude. They just have no leeway for people who end up a little bit over the limit. It discourages people to come and shop here," Mr Norris said.

"We know we are losing people to Bayfair and Taupo because they are sick of trying to stay one step ahead of the meter wardens here," Mrs Norris said.

"They have got a really nasty attitude."


One of my bushie mates in Western Australia had the right idea. He kept an old ticket in his glove box and whenever he came down to Perth he would park and put the old ticket under the windscreen wiper. Worked a treat until it went a bit yeallow and they woke up.

I used to collect the damned things when I worked out of an office in Takapuna. Once, when they got up to $300.00, I sent a checque for $500.00 to the North Shore City chief parking officer, asking him to credit the balance to my account.

All I got was a snooty phone call. No sense of humour, these bloody beuracrats.
ยท Linked Article

Posted by Adolf Fiinkensein | 10/25/2005 12:56:00 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Murray said...

"Nazi" has got to be the most abused term in the world today.

It's lost all meaning and context.

10/25/2005 01:31:00 PM  
Blogger darren said...

Yes, the other weekend I hired a car to go away for the weekend.
I live in an appartment in Parliament Street, in the central city.
Thus, I do not have a car and if I had, it would be $50pw for a car park in the building.
Anyway, I park the hire car and in a hurry I neglect to put a dollar in the meter and I rush upstairs for my suitcase and other things for the weekend.
In the few minutes it took to return to the car, there was a ticket in my window along with a traffic warden ticketing the next vehicle.
It was Saturday lunchtime and no doubt he earned his wages that day.
There have been two other occasions where I have also been ticketed in the early hours of the morning in places where it was not so clear that parking was verboten there.
Now, I am extra extra careful when parking, always looking for mysterious resident only zones, police park only zones, strange signs with motorbikes on, etc.
By not owning a car, I am supposedly doing the green thing that you think the council would approve of. But on those weekends when I need to hire a vehicle it seems to be a case of Auckland city trying the screw anyone with wheels.
On all these occassions, I have not caused any obstruction whatsoever, there is no business needing or wanting the space, all I am trying to do is park outside my home.
One of these days, I'll think 'bugger it' I'm off to suburbia, despite the extra cost, and the council fuckwits who encourage inncer city living can get stuffed.
No wonder inner city appartment prices are falling. Council Nazis are making it such a hassle to live in the inner city.

10/25/2005 01:32:00 PM  
Blogger Murray said...

And there's that Nazi word again.

10/25/2005 02:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to have a flat in central Dunedin. Quite often dumbasses liked to park very close to my driveway, partially blocking it.

Every time this happened, I took great pleasure in ringing the DCC parking services people and having them send a warden round to ticket the offending party.

When they work for you, they aren't meter Nazis. Oh no. They magically transform into the Stormtroopers of Justice!!!


EXOCET

10/25/2005 10:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home