< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://sirhumphreys.com" > Sir Humphrey's: The Virtue of Frugality

SIR HUMPHREY'S BLOG

SITE MOVED:Sir Humphrey's has moved

Please join us at our new site: www.sirhumphreys.com.

The RSS feed for sirhumphreys.com is now here.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

The Virtue of Frugality

Just to take your minds off politics, media bias, leftie madness blah blah blah, I invite you to consider and submit examples of frugality. You might ask what has prompted such madness? Oh, I don't know. Maybe I feel as though the next four weeks will seem like four months. Anyway.

A few weeks ago, in our little parish, I asked members if anyone could expalin the history of the parish Bible. I am a new member having joined recently in 1983. Nobody knew and there are some 90 year olds who were baptised as infants there. So, Adolf did the resourceful thing and opened the fly page for a look. Lo and behold, the Great Book had been presented in 1967 by the estate of and in memory of a venerable member. When I asked about I received interesting commentary which has inspired this post.

The venerable member (VB) had been a grocer who was renowned for frugality. He remained unmarried for some decades and then succumbed to the needs of commerce and did a merger with the widowed greengrocer whose shop was closeby. Even in the late 1950s he delivered to his clients by way of a horse and cart. Not for him the rush to the latest technology before the current asset was fully depreciated. The horse died one day, between the shafts. When dear ladies purchased 1 lb or 2'lbs of buscuits, VB would crack the last biscuit in half to make up correct weight. None of this new fangled 'rounding up or rounding down.'

This reminded me of the day in 1971 when I walked on to a sheep property in southern WA and saw on the clothes line about a dozen tea bags hanging out to dry.

Come on, dear readers. You must have some good stories.

Posted by Adolf Fiinkensein | 8/20/2005 08:11:00 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger Bernard Woolley said...

With the increasing fuel prices, I must admit I am already biking as many places as I can - its good for my wallet, my health and the environment.

8/20/2005 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Lucyna said...

I don't get my hair done very often, it was a year since the last time. Now it's cut, coloured and conditioned. I feel good.

8/20/2005 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger Bernard Woolley said...

Lucyna - being a guy it is great being able to go down to the local barbers and get a $12 cut and talk about sport :)

8/20/2005 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Lucyna said...

I'm sure, Bernard. Mine cost $168, and took 2 hours 45 minutes. I brought a book to read. They must have thought I was a bit strange not flicking through the magazines. When the choice is the equivalent of Hair weekly or a historical book, the choice is obvious. :P

8/20/2005 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger Rob's Blockhead Blog said...

Frugality example - an elderly relative who used to recycle calenders.

After all, the order of dates comes around again, doesn't it? Only the year changes.

The one for that year - from the insurer, Government Life - went in the dining area. A pile of previous year calenders was kept under a sofa and these were put in other rooms when the order of dates came around again.

also once had a flatmate who thought it was a saving to buy Basics Bread because everyone in the flat hated it.

8/20/2005 02:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i save all my 'roachs' for when i run out..

phil(whoar.co.nz)

8/21/2005 09:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home