< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://sirhumphreys.com" > Sir Humphrey's: The joys of state schooling

SIR HUMPHREY'S BLOG

SITE MOVED:Sir Humphrey's has moved

Please join us at our new site: www.sirhumphreys.com.

The RSS feed for sirhumphreys.com is now here.

Friday, August 19, 2005

The joys of state schooling

Swedish schools aren't that crash-hot on teaching either, to carry on the education them from earlier.
Despite simpler exams, many students find it difficult to pass mathematics tests. It's high time to raise knowledge requirements for both students and teachers, says the National Agency for Higher Education.

"I've learnt fractions now". The quote comes from a mathematics student doing an engineers degree and reflects the situation fairly well.
Imagine getting to the stage of doing an engineering degree and not being able to do fractions. Actually I'm not surprised, a few years ago as a tutor for various university physics courses I was amazed, to say the least, at the sheer inability to handle what should be third form maths. Or would have been back around 85 maybe.

According to the article both students and teachers require higher standards. No prizes for stating the obvious I guess. Unfortunately today's teachers who can't do maths were students themselves a few years ago... the process has been a long decline in standards and lowered expectations. They don't say how long it'll take to get the standards back up, but it is going to be quite a while until competent kids become teachers themselves.
ยท Linked Article

Posted by Chefen | 8/19/2005 01:37:00 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger Lucyna said...

Oh no, not maths too! I can't remember when I did fractions, it was at least by 3rd form.

What have they done, burnt all the old textbooks?

8/19/2005 08:13:00 AM  
Blogger Chefen said...

I dunno, I haven't seen much of schools in action here yet. But I sure as hell am going to be learning my kids a bit extra (when they come along) than what the school does.

Yeah, fractions should be learnt well before 3rd form, I was thinking along the lines of trig and stuff.

8/19/2005 07:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home