< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://sirhumphreys.com" > Sir Humphrey's: Out for a duck

SIR HUMPHREY'S BLOG

SITE MOVED:Sir Humphrey's has moved

Please join us at our new site: www.sirhumphreys.com.

The RSS feed for sirhumphreys.com is now here.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Out for a duck

The NZ Government just doesn't get it, do they? I've blogged before about the pathetic response to Mugabe, and how it should not come down to if we play cricket at home or away.

The suggested action NZ takes seems to be deciding all our Foreign Policy through a sports team. That is wrong. It is time to clarify my position.

Firstly, I think it is up to the cricket team to decide whether they go or stay. I would like to see them stay, but I don't want to force them.

Secondly, if they go, I would like to see them protest in some way. Black arm bands would be nice. A public donation to any of the local (NGO) organisations (preferably a Catholic Church as they seem to be making a better effort than just about anyone else) in helping the homeless. Perhaps a sight seeing tour of the countryside, with camera crew. They would have to be careful how they did all this, but definitely worth it.

Thirdly, the government needs to move BIG TIME on a range of OTHER actions to shame Mugabe and put pressure on him. This means turning up at different meetings, lots of press statements, visiting other African States (as part of a delegation of Commonwealth countries perhaps) and all the other stuff foreign policy experts and diplomats do as part of the fun part of their job. The bit where their work actually counts for something.

Now, when it comes to Zimbabwe visiting here, then the government, in my view can "interfere" with the Cricket Councils best laid plans by refusing entry permits to the cricketers. "I'm sorry, but your country is killing women and children (and other people) so you are not welcome. Call us hypocrites, but you'll have to call us that on the phone."

Now, was that so hard?

PS: So as not to appear too unkind, Phil Goff has had a few sensible utterences on this matter (thanks Phil), and needs to know he might get more support if he thinks outside the square, and moves this up on his schedule of "important things to sort out"

I am available on a consulting basis Phil. And I'll give you a discount of 51.5% (the first payment as 39% income tax, the next as 12.5% GST).

Posted by ZenTiger | 7/01/2005 09:49:00 AM

11 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

And what does Adolf think about National's plan to pay the fine? I think that says everything you need to know about the National Party. Their slogan for the campaign should be "Anything they can do, we can do better."

7/01/2005 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger ZenTiger said...

I have no idea what Adolf thinks about National's offer to spend my tax money, but I think it is eerily Labourish. Not a good sign for the future.

They need to learn to state their values, not react or delay. They also need to think outside the boxes Labour opens.

7/01/2005 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger Adolf Fiinkensein said...

Well Roger, If you want to know something all you have to do is ask. I thought Dr Brash made a very sensible suggestion at the time. I had made the same suggestion some time ago in private to my Labour contacts and they too thought it was a useful suggestion. At that stage I had not been aware that the problem might be a lot larger than $2.8 mil. I don't have much time for the talk about the 2.8 mil going to Mugabe. The point really is I, and I'm sure Dr Brash, would much rather our players were not going and I don't mind in the least if Dr Brash makes a suggestion which later turns out not to be a good move. I happen to think that Filk is handling it pretty well, all things considered. I hope you have read Grant Tyrell's analysis on NZP.

7/01/2005 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Gooner said...

Adolf, where do I find Grant's analysis?

7/01/2005 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Adolf Fiinkensein said...

Gooner, it's back acouple of days and is call 'Zimbabwe, the ICC and Us" on NZPundit ex our blog roll.

7/01/2005 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger ZenTiger said...

Hey, thanks for the ref. Adolf. NZ Pundit made some excellent points from a perspective I hadn't covered. There is a new post "Dumb" up near the top, with a link back to the post you mentioned.

7/01/2005 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Too Right said...

The best course is some form of sporting disobedience. The price to NZ Cricket to stop touring is way beyond their capacity to pay. The Government needs to be honest and admit the ICC is controlled by countries from the third world (ie not Britain) and that this is their payback to the colonials.

7/01/2005 02:22:00 PM  
Blogger Gooner said...

I agree too right.

Hey guys (and guyesses) is there a free for all tonight here on SH?

7/01/2005 03:06:00 PM  
Blogger Lucyna said...

Yup, there will be. I've just been slack in announcing it. Stay tuned ...

7/01/2005 03:16:00 PM  
Blogger Ashley Clarkson said...

Good good - looking forward to finally getting a chance to get in on one of those (albeit due to sickness).

7/01/2005 03:39:00 PM  
Blogger Antarctic Lemur said...

These things are why I turned off having comments emailed to me automatically.

7/01/2005 04:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home