< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://sirhumphreys.com" > Sir Humphrey's: Christopher Hitchens explains the nasty truth about Islamic terrorists to Ron Reagan

SIR HUMPHREY'S BLOG

SITE MOVED:Sir Humphrey's has moved

Please join us at our new site: www.sirhumphreys.com.

The RSS feed for sirhumphreys.com is now here.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Christopher Hitchens explains the nasty truth about Islamic terrorists to Ron Reagan

The son of the Real Reagan had been trying out the ole' 'Its our fault for invading Afghanistan and Iraq' line to explain the 'original sin' behind the London bomb attacks. Here's Christopher Hitchens' response:
CH: Well, it depends on how you think it started, sir. I mean, these movements had taken over Afghanistan, had very nearly taken over Algeria, in a extremely bloody war which actually was eventually won by Algerian society. They had sent death squads to try and kill my friend Salman Rushdie, for the offense of writing a novel in England. They had sent death squads to Austria and Germany, the Iranians had, for example, to try and kill Kurdish Muslim leaders there. If you make the mistake that I thought I heard you making just before we came on the air, of attributing rationality or a motive to this, and to say that it's about anything but itself, you make a great mistake, and you end up where you ended up, saying that the cause of terrorism is fighting against it, the root cause, I mean. Now, you even said, extraordinarily to me, that there was no terrorist problem in Iraq before 2003. Do you know nothing about the subject at all? Do you wonder how Mr. Zarqawi got there under the rule of Saddam Hussein? Have you ever heard of Abu Nidal?

CH: Have you ever heard of Abu Nidal, the most wanted man in the world, who was sheltered in Baghdad? The man who pushed Leon Klinghoffer off the boat, was sheltered by Saddam Hussein. The man who blew up the World Trade Center in 1993 was sheltered by Saddam Hussein, and you have the nerve to say that terrorism is caused by resisting it? And by deposing governments that endorse it?
Ahh, where would we be without Christopher Hitchens and a few other excellent orators and writers who know their stuff about terrorism and the middle east? We'd be stuck trusting the word of Robert Fist, a man who descended so low as to excuse his own Afghani attackers because they were attacking a white man:
"I was crying and weeping and that the tears were cleaning my eyes of blood. What had I done, I kept asking myself? I had been punching and attacking Afghan refugees, the very people I had been writing about for so long, the very dispossessed, mutilated people whom my own country --among others -- was killing along, with the Taliban, just across the border. God spare me, I thought."

"Godd@mit, I said and tried to bang my fist on my side until I realised it was bleeding from a big gash on the wrist -- the mark of the tooth I had just knocked out of a man's jaw, a man who was truly innocent of any crime except that of being the victim of the world."
Oh brother. Want idiots like this guy running our country? Then vote for the Greens. They seem to have a similar philosphy on the world.

UPDATE: The transcript above doesn't do justice to the video of the exchange. Hitchens really tore Reagan a new one (hat-tip Silent Running for video).

Posted by Antarctic Lemur | 7/10/2005 10:47:00 am